Skip to main content

Frequently asked questions

Find the answers to frequently asked questions about our complaints process.

What details do you need from me when I make a complaint?

We need enough information from you to allow us to investigate your complaint. In general, we need any supporting documentation or records with times, dates etc. Providing this information to us as soon as you raise your complaint assists our staff to begin investigations.

Can I ask someone else to complain on my behalf?

Yes, however that person must be authorised to represent you. This means they would be a signatory to your account, or you have provided us with written authorisation for the person to act on your behalf. Without your consent we can only provide the person with information that is general in nature and not personal or account specific.

What is the maximum timeframe for the Bank to investigate and provide a response to my complaint?

  • No later than 21 calendar days after receiving the complaint for:
    • Credit-related complaints involving default notices.
    • Credit-related complaints involving hardship notices or requests to postpone enforcement proceedings. Exceptions apply if the credit provider or lessor does not have sufficient information to make a decision, or if they reach an agreement with the complainant. 
  • No later than 30 calendar days after receiving the complaint for:
    • Standard complaints.
  • No later than 45 calendar days after receiving the complaint for:
    • Traditional trustee complaints.
    • Superannuation trustee complaints, except for complaints about death benefit distributions.
  • No later than 90 calendar days after the expiry of the 28 calendar day period for objecting to a proposed death benefit distribution referred to in s1056(2)(a) of the Corporations Act for:
    • Complaints about superannuation death benefit distributions.

Should the Bank be providing me with a written response to my complaint?

If the matter is resolved to your satisfaction within the first 5 business days of receiving your complaint, a written response may not be provided, unless you request one. Should the matter take longer than 5 business days to resolve, we will provide a response in writing whether you are satisfied with the outcome or not.

What if I am not satisfied with the Bank’s response to my complaint?

If we have investigated the matter, provided you with a final response and you are still not satisfied, you have the option to refer your matter to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) for an external review. Time limits apply to refer your complaint to AFCA. Please consult for further details.

What is the role of AFCA?

AFCA is an independent External Disputes Resolution (EDR) scheme that is free for consumers. It provides an accessible way of resolving disputes, without having to go to court. The decision of the AFCA is binding.

When should I escalate my complaint to AFCA?

We want to do everything we can to resolve your banking problems, so it’s important that you have raised your issue with us before going to AFCA. Raising your complaint directly with us should result in a quicker resolution. In fact, AFCA will encourage you to work with us before they commence their investigation.

Bendigo and Adelaide Bank acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the First Peoples of this nation and the Traditional Custodians of the land where we live, learn and work. We pay our respects to Elders past and present as it is their knowledge and experience that holds the key to the success of future generations.

ABN 23 644 620 128 | AFSL 534006
© Copyright 2024 Bendigo Superannuation